Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Translation - A Father's Prayer for His Child's First Day In School

I promised to translate this in May. Here it is now.

A father's prayer on the start of school

Act 2:39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

Lord Jesus, today is the first day at school for my son. This tiny tot has been under our tender loving care since young. I can hardly bring myself to lead him to the school gate and bid him farewell. I am most fearful of the fact that he doesn't know how terrible the outside world is. The world today is so much different from the day I first went to school. Soon, he will find out the home he has been for six years is different from the outside world.


Father in Heaven, I pray that you will keep him within your powerful arms, help him to understand it is ok to be different, it is ok not to sweat, it is ok not to lie and it is definitely ok to follow what he has been taught at home.


The great journey of life will soon show its ugly side, faster than our time. In this fallen world, younger kids can get drugs from older kids, graphical images in the news and tv shows are filled with violence and gores and these things don't seem like they will disappear from the world.


Lord Jesus, I am also worried that he will begin to face a different set of values and views. He will be spending more than 30 hours in classes every week, far more than the time we will be spending together, please strengthen the foundation we lay for him since young. Even though he is still a child, we pray that you will help him to tell rith from wrong, to discern between truth and lies and that he can uphold justice even when he is alone.


O, Lord Jesus, the busy crowd is making me uncomfortable. Help him to choose friends. Help me as a father to know when to say yes and when to say no. We have been trying to help him understand that the most important thing to be righteous. But soon he will discover, this is not always the principle in the outside world. Father God, take his hand and lead him every step of the way.


Please help him to understand that not everyone can be trusted. But without trust between one another, we cannot establish lasting friendship and we will not be able to learn to love one another. I pray that God you will help him to remember all that we have taught him, whenever there is a villain, there is a hero; whenever there is an enemy, there is a friend. Where there are fallen people, there are also righteous people. Wherever there are temptations to make you fall, there are doorways to escape.


We hope that he can understand that if he does not try his best, he will disappoint us and you. But when he has tried his best, no matter win or lose, we will be proud of him. Lord, we pray that you will help him to realize that there is no shame in failure as long as he has tried his best. But if he is lying and cheating to win, then he is bringing shame to your name.


Lord, there is one more thing. I hope my son will be a strong Christian, not only know you and love you but can also become a leader, a light in the darkness of the world, to resist the enemy of today and to impact the world.


I shudder to think of what he may face. But when I think of the precious promise you gave to me, my child and those who trust in you, I am in joy. Thank you Lord, thank you for the blessed assurance. It allows me to bid adieu to my son in the school gate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you kept your promise...

Thank you.