Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some like it hot

I have heard many complaining about the hot weather these few days. I personally do not feel it is extraordinary hot. To me it's just like any normal day in Malaysia.

A friend is Thailand asked me via Skype if 'my country' is raining. I smiled and paused before I asked him which parts of the country he was referring to.

It's going to rain based on the rumbling I hear.

Do you ever have this person in your life that seems bend on trying your patience? It's like everything he / she says or does is an attempt to see at what point you will blow up. And then he / she will take out a clipboard and note the results. He / she will toss things on your tables (instead of putting them there like any other normal, courteous people well taught by their parents or teachers). He / she would tell others you are not a gentleman while you are holding the door for him / her. He / she doesn't show appreciation when you picked up after him / her to prevent him / her from landing in troubles. Well, I have. I will not spiritualize this. I will take it as well as I can. We want to be professional. If he / she doesn't cut it, I will make it clear to my boss.

So much for one person.

Let me continue with another bigger issues involving more people.

P.J. O'Rourke (American humourist, political commentator and journalist whose essays are collected in "Republican Party Reptile", "Parliament of Whores" and "Give War a Chance") said "There's a whiff of the lynch mob or the lemming migration about any overlarge concentration of like-thinking individuals, no matter how virtuous their cause."

A group is often judged based on its past records. Many may be willing to overlook some small issues because of its achievements.

When a large group of people known for their good deeds set forth on a questionable journey, will the followers lose their ability to discern? Will the followers choose to ignore the obvious alarm sounding like crazy in their mind? Surely they can do no wrong if they have come thus far?

While we accord a high place to character, we also need to be objective when it comes to such situations. To err is human. Christians are not exempted.

I for one, reject and refute ANY form of wrong teachings disguised as new revelations. When it comes to the Word and the truth, it's either yes or no. There is no in between. There is no such things as having some truth in it. Christians should be helping one another to draw near to God. They should not seek sensations. They should not chase Christian 'superstars' or celebrities, ESPECIALLY when the said celebrities display glaring errors in the message they present.

New age and many cultic practices are being recycled and making their ways into the welcome arms of the church. We should WATCH and pray. Open our eyes to see clearly what is really happening.

I have not been feeling well. I feel like I am on the verge of getting sick. But my body would not relent. Normally when we get such signals, we are already sick. This time the 'confirmation' is taking a long time to come. I wonder when and I wonder if it will come at all.

No comments: