Sunday, December 20, 2009

My pet peeves


I have several pet peeves, including people who smoke in front of me. Today, I am going to talk about something else – people who talk when they should not.


I enjoy watching movies. I almost fell asleep in my last visit to the cinema. I was watching Storm Riders II. I think only those who read the comics could appreciate the movie. And I read the comics before. Still I almost dozed off. The only other movie that had that effect on me was Modesty Blaise. I think it it’s not for Timothy Dalton (the then James Bond), I would not have watched it.

Before a movie starts, the viewers are normally reminded to turn off their mobile phones or turned off the ring tones. And anyone who has a compelling to talk normally whispers to the ears of the person besides him / her making sure the conversation doesn’t bother anyone else. Such is the common courtesy observed in a secular public event.

Now, let us consider another place – the church. We meet once a week for celebration - some calls it service, worship, etc. The purpose is the same, to be close the Almighty God. How is it that in a place of worship, a place where we are supposed to behold our King of kings and Lord of lords with reverent awe, we hear people talking (NOT whispering) during worship and sermons? What is it that is so urgent and so compelling that we NEED to talk there and then? Why do we have to talk so loud?

It’s one thing to have a baby / toddler making noise every now and then. They don’t know any better. It’s the parents’ responsibility to ensure their children don’t disturb the worship / sermon. It is another thing to have two grown-ups talking during worship / sermon.

Adults should have more sense. I don’t think we have any problem with a quick banter (However superficial it is, but that’s the topic of another discussion.) before and after the service. During service, we should be quiet. It’s not that hard actually. We can always try to listen to the sermon or join in the worship. Whether someone has signed up for the camp or what the cell group is planning to do can wait after the service.

It’s a shame the person on the pulpit has to remind the congregation to sit quietly. It’s a bigger shame that the reminder falls on deaf ears.

No comments: