Monday, April 12, 2010

Facebook bans to be lifted?

Facebook usage in the office has always been a point of contention. Employers want to tap into the next frontier to expand their business but is wary of the impact on productivity and also confidentiality of data. Employees on the other hand think they should be entitled to have their social lives in the workplace.

A light bulb lighted in my mind this morning to write the following fictional internal news for a company.

Names are purely fictional and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.


Berita CP, Monday, April 14 2010
Facebook bans to be lifted?
Employees in CP have longed for the office hour Facebook ban to be lifted. It seems like they may get their wish after all.

CP has restricted social networking during office hours. Every employee has signed the policy document which includes the above clause. It is obvious some employees have no intention to follow the guidelines as they are caught using Facebook during office hours.

“Between harvesting my crops and finishing the report for my boss, I think the choice is very clear – should I let the harvest go to waste and wait another 12 hours? And I have to clear the farm and plant again. I don’t think so,” said Ms. N, a senior executive. Ms. N went further to comment on her priorities. “Of course I know my priorities in the office. Why do they think I go to the office? I just want to come in, go to Facebook and collect my salary. Do I go to the office to work? Are they serious?”

CP is said to be contemplating a new Facebook regime that allows employees to go to Facebook during office hours … with a fee. The Facebook access fee being considered is an hourly rate of 1.5 x to 2.0 x the employees computed hourly wage. “Facebook usage outside office hours shall remain free of charge,” said a company spokesperson.

In other words, any employee who is willing to part with 1.5x or 2.0x of his hourly wage can visit Facebook during office hours for one hour.

"The fees is charged per hour or part thereof," explained the company spokesperson.

“I think this is a positive development,” said Mr. J, another executive. “With this new option, I may actually work 1 or 2 hour a day. I don’t think I want to spend too much money with Facebook.”

“For sure it’s a good idea,” said Ms. N, who has always been in the top 10 office hour Facebook users ranking. “When I don’t have to pretend to work, I can focus on Farmville. I can also have more time for my Monday blues and weekend countdown comments. This means I have more time left for work, which is what they always want.”

“With the constant harp on KPI, do they care about my Sorority Life levels? I want to level up. Look at my friends. They are so far ahead of me. And here I am having to worry about meeting my KPIs at work.” Ms. N elaborated.

On the other hand, Ms. C, the HR spokesperson has denied any rumours that the company is considering adding social networking into any employee’s portfolio. She also categorically defined the company is considering adding positions for full time Facebookers.

No comments: