Saturday, November 20, 2010

TLS5–the Transformational Leadership of Esther (DUMC)

Pastor Michael Ngui, 20/11/2010

Life is a continuous process to expect the unexpected. (I might have misquoted this.)

Pastor Michael listed some instances in life to illustrate that life is full of surprises. Some of us plan our lives so well and some of use just live for the moment. Either way, we do have things in life that is unexpected.

Some of us fly by the seats of our pants (meaning, decide a course of action as you go along, using your own initiative and perceptions rather than a pre-determined plan or mechanical aids.)

1Co 10:13  No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.


God is faithful. We often find a way of escape if we don’t give up and depend on his.



We read Esther 4:4-17.

Est 4:4-17  When Esther's young women and her eunuchs came and told her, the queen was deeply distressed. She sent garments to clothe Mordecai, so that he might take off his sackcloth, but he would not accept them.  (5)  Then Esther called for Hathach, one of the king's eunuchs, who had been appointed to attend her, and ordered him to go to Mordecai to learn what this was and why it was.  (6)  Hathach went out to Mordecai in the open square of the city in front of the king's gate,  (7)  and Mordecai told him all that had happened to him, and the exact sum of money that Haman had promised to pay into the king's treasuries for the destruction of the Jews.  (8)  Mordecai also gave him a copy of the written decree issued in Susa for their destruction, that he might show it to Esther and explain it to her and command her to go to the king to beg his favor and plead with him on behalf of her people.  (9)  And Hathach went and told Esther what Mordecai had said.  (10)  Then Esther spoke to Hathach and commanded him to go to Mordecai and say,  (11)  "All the king's servants and the people of the king's provinces know that if any man or woman goes to the king inside the inner court without being called, there is but one law--to be put to death, except the one to whom the king holds out the golden scepter so that he may live. But as for me, I have not been called to come in to the king these thirty days."  (12)  And they told Mordecai what Esther had said.  (13)  Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, "Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews.  (14)  For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"  (15)  Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai,  (16)  "Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish."  (17)  Mordecai then went away and did everything as Esther had ordered him.

Crisis

Esther was known for her beauty. When the Queen Vashti of Persia did refused the king’s order to be paraded, she was removed as queen. Esther was chosen as the replacement. As the queen, Esther did not have any role to play. She was a trophy wife.

Haman was angry that Mordecai refused to acknowledge of his greatness. Haman found out that it was because Mordecai as a Jew would not bow down. Haman plotted to kill all the Jews with the king’s consent.
This is where the story begins in chapter 4 of Esther. King Ahasuerus decreed that the Jews could be killed on a specific day.

When Mordecai found out, he tore his clothes and refused to take the clothes that Esther sent. He then sent a message to Esther requesting her to plead with the king.

Problem: Esther could not go to the king unless she was summoned. Mordecai reminded her that deliverance would come from another place if she refused to act and suggested that she was possibly put there for this purpose. There was nothing anyone could do except for Esther. She requested the Jews to fast for 3 days and promised to look for the king. The crisis was unfolding for Esther. She was caught between a rock and a hard place.
I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale
Ernest Shackleton led an expedition across the Antarctica. The ship sank. The team began an 18-month survival struggle. Everyone survived.

Course of Action

Esther requested a banquet. She probably did not find an opening to to present her case. She had another banquet.

Horatio Spafford wrote It Is Well With My Soul after his son and four daughters died. The Bible tells us there is a way out. There is hope.

Sometimes we find ourselves in situations we are not ready to face and with which we have no solution. We must learn to turn to God.

We need to learn to improvise. God’s will is not always clear. Esther knew she had to so something but she wasn’t clear what she needed to do.

Challenge

God will find a way for us to get  out of our situation.

Character

Do not wait for crisis to shape the character. as it may take too long.
1. Esther found favour with people and God.
We mist learn to relate well with people – sincerely – develop winsomeness.
Pro 11:30  The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and whoever captures souls is wise.

2. Esther submitted and deferred to the authority in her life
Learn to submit to your authority. Listen and take heed of your elder’s counsel. Learn submissiveness.
There are lots of books on assertiveness and negotiating to get what we want. There is almost no books on being submissive.

3. Esther remained loyal, steadfast in her allegiances
The was loyal to Mordecai and faithful to his people and also to her husband.
Loyalty is the pledge of truth to oneself and others. (Could be a misquote. I didn’t get it.) Loyalty is also a pledge of support.
Learn to be loyal. Be true to others, being true to yourselves.

4, Esther spoke and acted prudently.
She didn’t reveal her ethnicity as instructed by Mordecai. (Est 2:10, 20)
Pro 12:23  A prudent man conceals knowledge, but the heart of fools proclaims folly.


5. Esther acted out of conviction, not convenience
Esh 4:15,16
“Borrowed convictions are returned to its owner, just when you need it!”
Borrowed convictions don’t hold water. Convictions based on feelings are built on sands.
Don’t wait for tomorrow to build convictions because there may be a crisis tomorrow.
Build convictions in your life on unshakeable truths.
Rom 16:25  Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages


6. Esther recognized the need for God’s help
God is the Sovereign King. he is in charge. Petition Him!
Heb 4:16  Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
We need to petition the King of kings!
Life is what happens to you while you are planning other things.

3 comments:

The Observer said...

Today's sermon was something that touched me and again, God found another way to speak to me.

I'm what most christians call a luke warm christian and I am the type who goes to Church every now and then and disappear for a while when I find it so hard to get my husband to go (really a lousy excuse, i know...) He was at one point a frequent catholic (evening service) church goer and almost a believer (he was born to a buddhist family and not baptised) until his aunt passed away and he told me the reason why he stopped believing.

I too started drifting away and did not have the discipline to go to church. I tried adapting to that way of life... trying very hard to be like those who didn't think that religion was an important.

I did struggle and I'm still very unsure and unhappy with life. Out of the 5 characteristics that Esther has, I have done the opposite of at least 3 or 4 and life was so uneasy for me because of:
1. my poor judgement of character an I end up being the one getting the end of a stick or doing all the elg work for people.
2. being assertive at the wrong time
3. my refusal to help people sometimes because i tell myself that they're just using me for convenience.
4. my negative reactions to things especially in times of trouble
5. my reluctant attitude that i often reflect when i want to worm my way out of things
6. my assumption that bad things happen to me and it's because I am being punished and from there sometimes i feel that there isn't a big guy up there because the book "The God Delusion" says so.

I guess the impact of today's sermon is like a wake up call. I really really need to get back on track and I would like to. I am glad found your blogpost. I was looking for something I missed at today's sermon.

thank you.

(By the way, my confirmation name is also Esther LOL because she was somewhat like a role model for me as a child but today I truly understand the role she played as a follower of God and I want to do the same for Him)

Unknown said...

Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing.

I personally like Pastor Mike's sermon very much. There is almost always something to take home from a sermon. This one has more - at least for me.

Unknown said...

Loyalty - the act of binding ourselves to a cause of action or a group of people.

I missed that out. Got it from the cell meeting just now.