Saturday, June 04, 2011

SJG 9: The Master as the Good Shepherd #fb #dumcMY

Pastor Daniel Ho, 04/06/2011

The text is John 10:1-18.

In the life of the Lord Jesus Christ, we see three characteristics of the Good Shepherd.

Characteristics of the Good Shepherd:

1. The Good Shepherd knows His sheep (v14)

  • He knows them by name (v3b)
Names are so important. We are so happy and thrilled when people called us by our names. Jesus knows our names and He knows exactly who we are.
  • He know their joys and victories.
He knows the pleasure and joy we share in life. Pastor Daniel said it’s a blessings for us to be able to sit down and listen to the sermon. It shows that the chemicals in our body is in perfect balance so we don’t have to rush to the toilet. He doesn’t know how true this is for me.
  • He knows their fears and pain.
He knows the wound, the hurt and the frustrations we have in life. We are confused and we don’t know how to move forward. We have been backstabbed. We have been victimized. We want to take it out on anything and everything. Jesus knows. He wants to meet us at every point of our needs and change our lives.
  • “Know”: Gk, ginosko – connotes more than just knowing mere facts about them but having a relationship of trust and intimacy.
Jesus enters into an intimate relationship with us in trust. This is the kind of God we have. This is the kind of burden that he carries as the Good Shepherd. Each and every one of us is precious to Him.
  • The Good Shepherd gives His sleep significance.
Every human being looks for significance in life. We all want to feel important / of value in life. We are not just a number or a statistic. We all look to be treated as a person of value. Every one of us, child and elderly alike wants to be respected. That’s intrinsic / natural in us.

2. The Good Shepherd cares for His sheep (v9, 10)

  • He leads His sheep (Ps 23:1-3)
Psa 23:1-3  A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  (2)  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  (3)  he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Jesus wants to lead us to fulfill the purpose in our lives. Wherever Jesus went, people follow. Human being are in general followers. We all want to be led. We need to be led.
Mat 9:36  When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
We run after one thing after another. Although it’s nothing wrong with chasing fashion and trends, we cannot be enslaved. We should not buy things we don’t need with money we don’t have to impress people who don’t care.
  • He feeds His sheep
The Bible is the best book. We need to spend time to read / understand the Bible. We need to journal. Sometimes we spend more time reading the newspapers than the Bible. All that we read in the newspaper is just an extension of Matthew 24. We should be spending more time reading the Bible that gives us perspective in life. Pastor Daniel hopes that week after week we come, we are fed in some ways. We also learn from SOL and MCCC. A group of 70+ youths are away in a camp (Jesse included.)
  • He protects His sheep (Ps 23:5)
Psa 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
When our life is threatened, the last thing in our mind is food. When we are in fear, we have no appetite. We think about our safety and wonder if we can come out alive. Yet, in the midst of it all, Jesus tells us to have no fear.
  • He gives His sheep security (Ps 23:4)
Psa 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
In all that we go through, our Good Shepherd Jesus Christ is with us to protect us. Even when we go through deep crisis or the darkest moment of our lives, Jesus is there with us.
Security is not found in position or possession. Positions can go. People retire no matter how powerful they are. Possession can be lost. Security is found in Jesus Christ. We are safe and secure in Jesus Christ regardless of what we have.

3. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for His sheep (v11)

  • He makes sacrifices for His sheep
When people make sacrifices for us, our hearts are touch. Consider the mother who tells the children she likes bones when they visits KFC.
  • He pays the ultimate price for His sheep by dying on the cross
He risked all. He was willing to give all.
  • He does this to give His sheep identity.
In this world that we live in, everyone looks for significance, to feel important, to have self-respect. Secondly, they look for security. We all want to feel safe. Significance and security is found in Jesus. Everyone is also looking for an identity. These are the struggles of the human being.

People need to know who they are. We have someone we look up to. We imitate them. We try to be like our idols. We are all looking for identity in life. Who am I? Many people are having identity crisis. Jesus Christ says to you and I that we are important, secured and we belong to Him. Identity is the sense of belonging. Jesus receives / accepts us just as we are. We don't have to try to be somebody / have something. Who we are is found in Jesus.

Pastor Daniel shared the story of Joshua Bell playing in a subway station getting no attention. He played in the wrong context. He belongs to symphony halls.
Read more here - http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

Likewise, you and I ultimately belong to Jesus Christ. The thief came to steal, kill and destroy but Jesus can to give life and life abundantly. We are children of the living God. We are part of His community of faith. We seek to build a community that will shake this world. We want to build a community that will move on to rock the nations of the world. Together with Jesus, we can do something.

    Questions for discussion

    1. What did you learn about Jesus being the Good Shepherd? Share one area that has challenged and inspired you. How are you modeling this in your life and what results have you seen?
    2. What is one area of Jesus’ example that you feel can really touch many people’s lives? How can you and your cell group practise this?
    Joh 10:1-18 I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. (2) The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. (3) The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. (4) When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. (5) But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." (6) Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them. (7) Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. (8) All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. (9) I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. (10) The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (11) I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (12) The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. (13) The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. (14) I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me-- (15) just as the Father knows me and I know the Father--and I lay down my life for the sheep. (16) I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. (17) The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. (18) No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

    No comments: