Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Starving Baker

The starving baker is one habitudes named by Dr. Tim Elmore. It is a picture of one who is constantly giving without receiving.

In ministry, there is no two ways about it - if we don't spend time with God, there is no way we can effectively serve Him and His people.

"Without a meaningful devotional life, the ministries of these influential church leaders in their 30s are dry and lifeless. But the constant and enormous demands of leadership regularly threaten to crowd out their time with God."

"I don't tell my wife I'm going to spend 20 minutes with her doing one thing and then 20 minutes doing something else, and call that a 'relationship,'" says Les Hughes, pastor of Westwood Baptist Church (Alabaster, AL). "It's much more fluid, more varied, and more about understanding and communicating our hearts than going through some arbitrary motions."

"In relationships with people, sometimes I'm talking, and sometimes I'm listening, and sometimes we're just together and nobody is talking. I'm trying to cultivate that kind of relationship with God."

Read on here.

No comments: