Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An attempted break in

When we got up this morning, we found the shower not working. We thought it's an interruption to the water supply and didn't think too much. We had to leave early.

When we reached home after dinner around 7 PM, I noticed the water tap in the porch disconnected from the pipe and laying on the floor. Jesse wondered why no water flowed from the open pipe.

I checked the water meter and found that the water supply was locked.

We looked at the crime scene a bit more and deduced that someone climbed in and while he was on his way out, stepped on the tap for leverage. But he / she was too heavy and she broke the tap. Flowing water would be a telltale sign someone came in, so he / she turned off the water supply and that explained why we didn't get any water in the morning.

So, it must have happened between the time we went to sleep and the time we got up. I knew I should not have slept so early.

Last year, something similar happened. After sending Jesse to tuition, I came home to find the water tap turned on. I turned it off.

A few days later, someone broke into our house and stole 2 notebooks (the computer type, not the paper type), a printer and cash.

Worrying for the safety of the family, I called 999. I was asked to go to the Kelana Jaya station to make a report. I did. I met Sgn Nizam who spoke to me. He advised me to get the RA to work with the police. He promised to arrange more frequent patrol in our area.

Earlier, I called my dad to tell him what happened and see it he could get us a plumber. The plumber would come at 9 in the morning.

You see, if we turned on the water supply, water will all flow out from the open pipe (sans the tap.) None will get to the shower and other places. If we turned it off, we also could not get any water.

I took a shower from the wastage of the RO machine and filled 4 pails of water for Jesse and Kathleen tomorrow morning. I may stay home to wait for the plumber.

I will keep an eye outside the house these few days - sleep will have to take a backseat.

No comments: