Sunday, November 29, 2009

IBS

I travelled to Bangkok, Thailand today.

I sympathized with Columbus in Zombieland who suffered from irritable bowel syndrome because I think I have the same problem.


Many decades ago, I could eat and drink all I wanted. In as recent as 5 years ago, I took on a job that requires me to travel to the southern region. Then, I was mostly taking a ride from K or my dad or my colleagues. Visiting a client in Malacca posed no threat to me. I specifically don’t recall going to toilet as a pressing need all the time.


As recent as a few years ago, I started having the fear of taking long journey. In my mind, I would always need to go to toilet. I would be on my way back to the office from one sales demo in my colleague’s car and I could request to go to toilet. More often than not, they were false alarms.

I thought they were just one-off incidents caused by my diet.

But as time goes by, my IBS has grew to become a nuisance to the people around, especially my family who has to put up with my problem. We always have to choose an eating place chose to home. And we always have to go home directly after eating because of my worry.

Recently, especially after watching Zombieland, I had the audacity to ‘tempt fate.’

I queued up to get movie tickets in GSC, Tropicana City Mall. Well, at the last few minutes, I asked K to take my place, then I found out I was ok.

I had nasi kandar from Kayu (the original one) for brunch. I was ok in the taxi ride from my house to the KLIA. I then had a good meal on board the Malaysian Airlines flight. Hey, I even got Baskin Robbins ice cream.  And I was just fine.

Then I took a taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi Internation Airport to Citadines Sukhumvit 11. I was fine too.

I have always said this problem of mine is in the mind. I believe it’s psychological.

Because of this, I bowed out from worship ministry. I often had problems prior to preaching. I was absolutely terrified of taking long journeys. I would choose not to eat.

I think I am getting a little control over this IBS problem.

No comments: