Sunday, November 08, 2009

Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude

Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude
Pastor Dr. Ling
08/11/2009 10:45 AM


(The Learner's Note: I have seen this quote a few times in my tweet stream. I guess I have a great attitude in my social network, a good attitude at work, an okay one at home and a lousy one in the church. If the 'altitude' is anything to go by.)

Attitude comes from the heart and the inner life. Attitude towards God determines how we are blessed. Starting from 1 Samuel, we read often comparisons to David. Jesus is also identified as from the line of David.

David fled from Saul for 15 years. He ran to the place of the Philistines. He even had to pretend to be crazy. He gave up two opportunities to kill Saul.

1Sa 16:13-23  Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers. And the Spirit of the LORD rushed upon David from that day forward. And Samuel rose up and went to Ramah.  (14)  Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the LORD tormented him.  (15)  And Saul's servants said to him, "Behold now, a harmful spirit from God is tormenting you.  (16)  Let our lord now command your servants who are before you to seek out a man who is skillful in playing the lyre, and when the harmful spirit from God is upon you, he will play it, and you will be well."  (17)  So Saul said to his servants, "Provide for me a man who can play well and bring him to me."  (18)  One of the young men answered, "Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him."  (19)  Therefore Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, "Send me David your son, who is with the sheep."  (20)  And Jesse took a donkey laden with bread and a skin of wine and a young goat and sent them by David his son to Saul.  (21)  And David came to Saul and entered his service. And Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armor-bearer.  (22)  And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, "Let David remain in my service, for he has found favor in my sight."  (23)  And whenever the harmful spirit from God was upon Saul, David took the lyre and played it with his hand. So Saul was refreshed and was well, and the harmful spirit departed from him.

1Sa 16:18  One of the young men answered, "Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the LORD is with him."

1Sa 18:14  And David had success in all his undertakings, for the LORD was with him.

2Sa 5:10  And David became greater and greater, for the LORD, the God of hosts, was with him.

God was with David. The same is observed with Joseph, Joshua and Paul. They accomplished much because they have the presence of God.

David had an intimate relationship with God since young. He was with God not just when he was in trouble. He desired God.

Psa 63:1-3,7  A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  (2)  So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.  (3)  Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.  … (7)  for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.

David wrote this when he was in the wilderness. Yet, he thirsted for God.

The benefits of being intimate with God:
1.       God will be intimate with us
2.       God will fill us with His Spirit
3.       God changes our heart to be have more attribute of God
4.       Labour of our hands are blessed
5.       Strength and wisdom in times of trouble

Psa 16:2,5  I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."  (5)  The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.

Be intimate with God

When we give our time to be close to God, He will look after what He has given to us.

Pastor Dr. Ling said she is the type person who thinks things don’t get done if she doesn’t do something. Hmm … I think someone I know is like that … that’s my in my ‘previous’ life. Now I don’t do ANYTHING.

Enjoy the presence of God and our mind will be filled.

Zep 3:17  The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.

God loves us with a passion. God rejoices in us.

有关系就没关系,没关系就有关系。
It’s ok if there is a relationship, it’s not ok if there’s no relationship.

David had a good relationship with God. He repented when he sinned. Saul doesn’t have a good personal relationship with God. He didn’t turn back to God when he sinned.

Depend on God

David depended on God and God strengthen him.

When we depend on God
1.       God gives us strength
2.       We can bear the giants in our lives
3.       We can repent and return to God
4.       We received strength in times of trouble
5.       Can overcome temptations
6.       God will protect us
7.       We can seek and find God
8.       He strengthens our faith

It was easy for David to seek God but not so for Saul.

Questions for reflections:
1.       How long have you not been intimate to God?
2.       What causes you not to be intimate to God? How do you overcome them?
3.       What problems are you facing (family, work, personal, church, finance?
4.       How can you depend on God in your troubles? How do you think God can help you?

No comments: