Sunday, January 24, 2010

Doing greater work


Doing Greater Things
Rev Irwin Rutherford, 24/01/2010


John 14 is the great statement to us that we can do greater works. Transformation of society is part of the greater works we can do. Jesus impressed us by his humanity. He emphasized his humanity, He understood the pressure and struggles a man faces. He also demonstrated His divinity that by His name we could do greater things. He pointed out the tension of the Kingdom of God that we experience – the now and to come.

Paul said to live is Christ to die is to gain. It’s the tension of hoping the Kingdom to come now, especially when we are in adverse situations. We want to get out of our situation to a better place. We face so much difficulty in the here and now that we want to be in the room of the Father now.

There are four principles of doing greater works. John 21 gave testimony of the great work Jesus did in three years. How could we do greater works?



One is possibly because there are more of us. Jesus did what he did as a human being. Jesus set aside the Godhead and submitted to the will of God. Just like Jesus we can yield to the Father. Every one of us is a Non-Salaried Proclaimers.

Joh 14:1-14  "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.  (2)  In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  (3)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.  (4)  And you know the way to where I am going."  (5)  Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?"  (6)  Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  (7)  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him."  (8)  Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us."  (9)  Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  (10)  Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.  (11)  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.  (12)  "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.  (13)  Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  (14)  If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.



Be mindful of the Father

Jesus said He got it all from the Father. He operates the Spirit of the Father. He sent the Holy Spirit to work in us. The Holy Spirit speaks only of the glory of the Father. Today, we operate in the power of the Spirit of Christ. We must be mindful of the purpose of the Father by engaging with the poor by caring for the poor.
One of the greatest environment damage is when we go to another nation to destroy their environment but attempts to keep our environment. We need to be good stewards.
The purpose of the Father allows us to do greater works for the poor, the sick and those in need.
If we ever want to know who we are, engage ourselves with the people’s needs. We will be able to accomplish greater things if we are mindful of the Father’s purposes.

Miracles of compassion

Jesus told his disciples that they need to discover the miracles of compassion that flows through our lives. A miracle presupposes a problem. When we are not in trouble, we don’t need a miracle. Every one of us should be out looking for opportunity / problems to release the miracle of compassion. Think of the miracle of a second chance. The church will accept you. Do not miss out the chance to be a miracle of compassion. If we are pre-occupied with our our pain / life / problems, we will pass the opportunity to be a miracle of compassion.
When we give a business card, we are telling others who we are and asking them to call on us and to depend on us. To transform society, we stop being obsessed with our problems and start being a miracle of compassion to others. The church has to stop asking for miracles but start being a miracle.

Motivated by Faith

V12 shows us anyone who has faith in Jesus can do great works even greater works. The motivation of faith is an awesome motivation. To take a seat is a simple act of faith. We expect the chair to be able to support our faith. Don’t we believe God can sustain us?

Mention of His Name

Jesus said we can ask Him for anything by His name and He will do it.
1Co 15:20-28  But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.  (21)  For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead.  (22)  For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.  (23)  But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.  (24)  Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power.  (25)  For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet.  (26)  The last enemy to be destroyed is death.  (27)  For "God has put all things in subjection under his feet." But when it says, "all things are put in subjection," it is plain that he is excepted who put all things in subjection under him.  (28)  When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all.

Jesus said we can do greater things by the mention of His name. Everything is subject to Him, including death. We are to speak peace in the streets. We are to bring people in and to see them believing in God. When we use the name of Jesus we give glory to the Father. We are people who have been blessed by God. We are allowed to occupy the earth and we are fed. We don’t use the name of Jesus to beat people up or to hurt people. We use the name of Jesus to bring glory to God the Father by our actions. All Jesus lived for is to bring glory to God. At the name of Jesus every tongue shall confess and every knee shall bow.
Act 4:12  And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

On one hand, we are pursued by our desire to be in heaven. On the other hand, Jesus commanded us to do greater things here and now.

No comments: