Saturday, December 10, 2011

The High Call to Jesus’ Disciples #sermon #dumcMY

Pastor Dennis Belcombe, 10/12/2011

(The PowerPoint background showing possible Jesus and his disciples really kicked posterior.)

Rom 1:1-2  Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God--  (2)  the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures

Rev 5:9-10  And they sang a new song: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.  (10)  You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."

The theme today is the High Call to Jesus’ Disciples – Present yourself as living sacrifice and preach the Gospel.

Are you willing to be a “Living Sacrifice”?

“I love the Word of God. I love to read the Bible and I love to preach from the Bible.” Pastor Dennis Belcombe.

Paul calls this (living sacrifice) an act of worship. It is in every aspect of our lives. If we pray in tongues for 30 min every day, we will love the things of God. We will not love the things of the world, we will pray for others. As we pray, we will hear the call of Jesus.

Producing Fruit

We are called to produce fruit. The longer we follow Jesus, the more fruit we bear.

Joh 15:15-17  I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.  (16)  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.  (17)  This is my command: Love each other.

Lift up your eyes and look at the fields!

Joh 4:35  Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.

It has been a time of planting seeds. It is now the time for harvest! Yet, 80% of the people in China have not heard of the Gospel.

How beautiful upon the mountains!

Isa 52:7  How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"

Mountains speak of kingdoms and nations. Pastor Dennis said we should not preach about the end time but instead preach about the Gospel. We don’t know what will happen in the future.

Evangelism is the key to unity.

Isa 52:8  Listen! Your watchmen lift up their voices; together they shout for joy. When the LORD returns to Zion, they will see it with their own eyes.

There is a collaboration between the house church and the 3-self church in ChungQing.

The challenge of Missions in Asia.

Psa 2:8  Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.
Am I going to give my life to making money? Or am I going to give my life to the preaching of the Gospel?

Pastor Dennis prayed 3 hours a day and overnight on Fridays from 1961 to 1969.

The bottom line of the covenant: You will b e a blessing to other nations!

Gen 12:2-3  I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.  (3)  I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

Pastor Dennis doesn’t believe the church has replaced Israel as the source of blessings in Gen 12:2. I am not taking anymore notes.

No comments: