Sunday, August 19, 2007

My fellow students are on leave

A few text messages and quick conversation revealed that all saved my son are away today. Well, it's not like I have spent a long time preparing for the lesson today. I just have enough for a 3-hour session. Now I don't have to crack my head on how to cramp the material into 1 hour, plus constant digressions.

I am not discouraged. When they are here, they are attentive and obedient. They could have told me beforehand though. If they don't go to school, they will tell the teacher. This is my fault. I didn't make them realize the importance of this one hour per week.

I will have a separate session with Jesse at home. I will let him take a break. I still remember when he was four, he would sing praises at bedtime. At that time, I was still staying with my parents. My father, who had yet to know Jesus then was extremely happy and impressed to hear Jesse sing Jesus, We Enthrone You among other songs.

When they are young, they are moldable. No one will try to make a bonsai off a 100 year old tree. I take it upon myself to help build a firm foundation in those within my sphere of influence. Jesus had 12 followers. If I cannot even take care of 6 (or 7 including one who is not regular, and 2 more to be added as they turn 12 next year), I have no excuse.

The Million Dollar Mandate has a profound impact on my understanding of the need to pour my life into others. Attending the cell church conference in DUMC earlier in the year (hey, I applied for leave the 1st day I report to work. God allows me to find favour in the eyes of my boss) helped me to see that we are in a journey together.

I am beginning to see that this pouring of life into others or mentoring or discipleship can and will take up all my time and heart and mind and soul. But first things first (Steven Covey said second things never!), I must be strong and healthy before I can coach / teach / disciple others.

I am starting soon.

2 comments:

MC said...

Can't say I've been discipled before. That's my excuse for not mentoring: Don't know how, don't see the need.

Very bad.

Glad you have much joy and passion in molding young minds for Christ.

Unknown said...

Hey, read Mt 28:18-20.

It's a mandate to make disciples.