Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Beautiful Christmas (not the sermon)

Christmas Eve 1230
We had a Christmas lunch in the office. I had fun with my colleagues. The recent training with some of them helped to build bridges. I am always happy with be with my own division. In the gift exchange, I got a 300ml bottle of Molten Brown Invigorating Suma Ginseng Bath and Shower. It's about RM90. Hmm ... I will let Jesse and Kathleen and Jesse try it.

I received gifts (individual and groups) from my colleagues. The cake is still in the fridge. I want K and Jesse to see the complete thing before we start eating it together. The other gifts are on the table. I want to open them together with K and Jesse when they come back. If you think you spot a recurring theme, you are right. I missed them. Now, if they can come back with a little bit less noise ...

Christmas Even 1845
I reached church. Yek called and needed me to switch on the PA system. I turned it on. The PC could not be switched on. I called Ps David to tell him. There could be more friction and I think I don't care anymore. We had a good practice. Jamie was mulling a chord at the 2nd last bar of Silent Night. I sought help from Khiam Su but I could not get him. I then asked Jun Hua and he gave me F#m and that did the trick. We had a good dinner. I texted K and told her how much a louse I thought I was for didn't think of inviting some of our friends. They were there. Pastor Reynold must have invited them. Bad bad Loong. Worship was good. I used my notebook to project the PowerPoint. Then I moved it back to the PA area to plug in the USB device to record the sermon. Ps Ong was passionate as usual. I then moved the notebook to the front to show PowerPoint during ministry time again. Ministry time took a bit of time. Pastor Ong prayed for many people. Whenever I see a person (from a couple) getting prayed for, I'd pull the spouse / fiancee forward so they could be prayed for together. Pastor Reynold said he'd help to lock up. I got a ride from Suzie.

Christmas Day 0630
Way Mun was to pick me up at 0715. Even thought I slept late last night, I got up early. But I simply didn't want to leave the bed. I laid there, snoozing the alarm again and again until 0650. I cleaned up and changed. Way Mun called and said he'd be late. While I waited outside, the sister who cleans our house passed by on the way to do her morning walk in the field. We chatted a bit. Then Way Mun came.

Christmas Day 0750
We reached the River of Christ church before the service started at 0800. After worship, Pastor Alexa talked about the significance of the incarnation. She challenged us to go out there not as a duty but as a response to God's love. Pastor Monica in her closing prayer also made similar challenge. Go get them was the message.

Christmas Day (around 0915?)
I got a ride from Jeremy. I was at Kompleks Muhibbah for the first time. It was a large area. Some of us were there as early as 0430 to clean up the place and set it up. Praise God for them. I checked out the games stalls.

Christmas Day (around 1015)
I went through the program with Judy, my co-host. We quickly decided some stage games. There were lots of presents to be given away. There was a HUGE crowd. Most of them have been coming back to the carnival year after year. The organizing churches are truly working very hard to connect to the residents. Visitors got free good, RM1 coupon to play games and to get lucky draws. It was something many of them look forward to each year.

We had presentations by each of the five churches. Burn (of Akademi Fantasia fame) also made an appearance. He was not shy to declare his faith.

Mr Yew (my former principal and current vendor) brought his family. I am glad I invited him. He and his family enjoyed themselves. His 2nd daughter won 2nd prize in the colouring contest for the 10 to 12 category.

The was a cottage sale. Clothes, toys are other things were going for RM1 per bag (take all you can!) At 1445, we announced that it was going to take all you can for FREE. Have you ever seen throng of people moving in one direction? Oh, many of them mistook the gift redemtion counter as the place for the cottage sale. I quickly pointed them to the correct place. After the main prizes were given out (the two grand prizes were Samsung mobile phones.)

I really admire the brothers and sisters who worked to hard. If they are not doing it out of love of God and the people, there is no way they are going to do it year after year. These people shine with the love of God.

Brother Andrew gave me a lift to my parent's place where I had a meal (the first of the day. I don't eat when I need to do things. I don't have to go to the toilet. So I was tired and hungry.) After the meal, Jason, the boyfriend of my sister Peng gave me a lift home. I was so tired. I turned on some Christmas music, took a shower and waited until I was not so full before I had salad for dinner.

Epilogue

With K and Jesse away, I was slightly uncomfortable of doing this MC thing. I was alone (at home) and I needed transport. But as I expected, I'd come home feeling glad I was part of it. I did feel glad. This always happened to me. I am becoming more predictable to myself.


Well, K and Jesse are to reach home either after lunch or in the evening tomorrow. 1 more day before I go back to reality. End of dream. :)

No comments: