Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obedience

Pastor Richard said the bottom line of a Christian is obedience.

How often do we disobey at will? We see the light turn red and think we will get away with it just this one time. We measured our weight last night and think we can just have one more McD meal.

Jesse borrowed some game CDs from his uncle Fatt. He could not get one game working on Kathleen's notebook. I tried to do it. Towards the end of the installation, I saw an old friend - the infamous BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). I have not seen it for a while.

I let it restart and decided to unistall a game component first. Hey, BSOD appeared and it restarted again. I tried again and again to no avail.

That was Sunday.

I brought it to the office on Monday hoping to be able to get a boot disc to repair it. No luck. We have no Vista Home Basic DVD in the office.

I had a wake service to go to on Tuesday so I didn't bring the notebook with me. But before I left home, I tried it again and found hope. I could get into a repair mode screen.

Due to the road blockage for the Merdaka Day parade rehearsal and heavy rain, the traffic was very packed. I requested Pastor Reynold to drop me in UMMC. I needed to use the toilet.

After the service, I noticed a celebrity who probably attended another service. It was Lai Ming of Empat Sekawan fame. (not to be confused with Leon Lai from Hong Kong.)

When I reached home last night after the wake service, I tried to repair the notebook again. I was appaled to find that I could not even do a System Restore.

Today, after a meeting, I did so a research and found that many suffered the same fate. I printed out some suggestions to try. The last resort is to format the notebook but Kathleen would lose all her work. She is now working on her assignments. I copied some files out. I will go through the notebook with her and make sure she has all she needs.

When I installed the game component, I got the usual warning that it is not compatible with Vista and that is might cause problem. As I had done many times before, I just ignored it and chose to continue. In the past I have been able to get away with it. But this time, 'it' caught on to me.

In case you are like the 99% of users out there who don't have an installation CD (most manufacturers only provide recovery discs, in my case, I had to burn my own recovery discs, which are misplaced,) you can download the recovery ISO here.

Lesson learned here: do not be disobedient. Stop at read light (that's what I normally do.) Listen and obey the Holy Spirit's guidance. And in things related to IT (where I may think I am very experienced and clever in), look out for warnings and heed them.

No comments: